- Genetic testing can help doctors look for changes in genes that cause certain medical conditions. It can also determine if someone has an illness, is at risk of one, or is a carrier for an illness.
- Genetic testing for children should be delayed until they are old enough to give their own consent.
- Genetic testing for children can involve psychological and social risks. A genetic counselor can help parents understand the results.
- Genetic testing can help determine a child’s condition and help avoid unnecessary tests.
- Parents must give consent for genetic testing on young children, and older children may give their own consent if they are mature enough to fully understand.
For more information see cps.ca